In 1929, Sime Darby, through the Sarawak Trading Company, was appointed the Caterpillar dealer for Sarawak, Malaysia. At the time, the company brought in equipment mainly to provide support and service in oil explor ation activities. The development of the logging industry, however, saw Caterpillar equipment being used for opening trails making, log skidding, loading and stacking, and power generation in the timber camps.
In 1957, the Caterpillar dealership of Sime Darby was expanded to cover the areas of Singapore, Brunei and Christmas Island. Equipment brought in included Caterpillar machinery for tin mines, copper mines and quarries, the marine and petroleum industries, and for the construction of highways, dams, bridges and airports.
In 1964, the Heavy Equipment Division of Sime Darby was incorporated as a private company, and Tractors Malaysia Limited was established in Singapore as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sime Darby.
On July 15, 1968, Tractors Malaysia Berhad became a public-listed company with an authorised capital of RM75 million. Four years later, Tractors Malaysia's headquarters was relocated to Malaysia.
Tractors Malaysia diversified its operations in 1988 to include the motor trade. It bought over AMIM and Ford Concessionaires. Auto Bavaria and Land Rover were also acquired.
On February 24, 2006, Tractors Malaysia was de-listed to become a 100% owned subsidiary of Sime Darby. A year later, on November 2007, the Sime Darby Group (KSDB) merged with plantation giants Golden Hope Plantations Berhad and Kumpulan Guthrie Berhad to become the world's largest listed plantation company by hectarage.
The newly merged entity was renamed Sime Darby Berhad is a Malaysian based multinational with core businesses in plantation, property, energy & utilities, motors and industrial.
Tractors Malaysia (1982) Sdn.Bhd became Sime Darby Industrial Sdn.Bhd on January 2, 2008.